The Australian employment law landscape is governed by a complex combination of federal and state legislation, industrial instruments (including awards and in some cases enterprise agreements), and the common law. All APSCo Members have an obligation to ensure that their employment practices align and comply with all applicable workplace laws.
This webinar will provide an overview of the Australian employment law framework along with practical tips for getting it right. We will touch on recent developments and outline the fundamental “need-to-knows” for those tasked with looking after an Australian workforce, whether directly or indirectly.
What will you take away from the session?
You will take away an understanding or renewed understanding of:
- An overview of the Australian employment regulatory framework;
- Your responsibilities under the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) and the National Employment Standards;
- Modern awards and enterprise agreements, including on-hire provisions;
- The different types of engagement including recent changes to casual employment;
- The recent High Court case of WorkPac v Rossato and key takeaways for Members engaging casuals;
- Contracts of employment and independent contractor agreements – tips and traps for ensuring your contracts are providing sufficient protection, and
- Practical takeaways.
Who should attend?
Whether you're a Member who is new to Australian employment law or a seasoned professional looking for a refresher, this seminar is suitable for HR personnel, in-house legal counsel, and any senior manager or business owner who is responsible for the management of Australian employees (whether directly or indirectly) or contractors.